Uni life isn't all about drinking...


Uni is about so much more than drinking, I mean, obviously we are there to work hard and (eventually) get our degrees. This being said, drinking is a huge way of life for the typical uni student, who has the new found freedom thrust upon them of being able to do whatever they want whenever they want. It's pretty unfair that all of us uni students get labelled as raging alcoholics, it's such a negative stereotype. Not everyone goes out several times a week getting hammered, even if I'll admit, most of the people I know at uni do. So I've decided to pool together a list of my favourite experiences at uni which have happened without a drop of alcohol in my system, to prove to you that you don't need to be highly intoxicated to have a good time.

(I will admit, this was incredibly difficult to write. Upon reflection, I was a ridiculous drunken mess for a good proportion of my first year, perhaps I'll write a post about all that later.)

  • Paper Aeroplane Olympics. What do you get when you're bored in the kitchen with your flatmates, and all you have to hand is a pile of paper? Well obviously, Paper Aeroplane Olympics! The rules were, we all had to use the same plane, and stand behind the same line. Each provided with their own coloured sticky notes, we marked our efforts down the hallway. (Much to the confusion and bewilderment of the rest of our flatmates) What started out as a bit of fun turned strangely competitive, and I was completely useless at it too which didn't help, but it was an incredibly fun way to waste an afternoon. 

  • Christmas. I think that the older you get, the drunker you have to be to deal with family Christmas'. (Just me? Oh well.) However, at uni this isn't the case. In Winchester there is loads of cute things to do around Christmas time to get you in the mood for singing Fairytale Of New York to death until it's boxing day; from the Christmas Market to the lights being switched on in town. The festive spirit is a highly intoxicating drug in itself, with all my friends at uni high on the giving nature of Christmas. We went for a flat Christmas meal (minus a poorly Emily), and had a present giving evening in the kitchen, all sober!

  • Marwell Zoo. I'm quite lucky that my uni is quite close to a zoo, so naturally we decided to take a day trip! The weather was beautiful, and we spent many blissful hours realising how easy life would be if we were penguins, just swimming around and being fed. What a simple life, much easier than the life of a uni student. Obviously, a bit of silliness was involved, with a Flamingo inspired standing-on-one-leg competition (I miserably lost), and laughing at a hilarious giraffe who kept hitting himself in the face with his tongue. 

  • Playing hide and seek in the library. What use is it to have a huge campus if you can't have fun with it every now and again. Armed with nothing by complete boredom (and totally awesome headbands), a gang of us decided to play hide and seek in the library one night. It was completely hilarious, casually strolling in past the security guards whilst dressed up like ninjas, and the hiding places just got more and more ridiculous. From just hiding under tables, things escalated pretty quickly to wedging ourselves into bookshelves and shutting each other amongst the rolling stacks. Who says you can't enjoy spending time in the library?
  • Ice Skating. Again, another perk of Christmas fever rolling into town. Every year they set up an ice rink by the cathedral, and we decided to take our flatmate Will one afternoon for his birthday.I'd never been ice skating before, and I had high hopes for my undiscovered talents, thanks to years of watching Dancing On Ice. This was not to be though, as even Bambi on ice was far more graceful than I was, as I laboured my way around the rink clinging onto the side for dear life. The only positive to my complete and utter lack of skill was the incredibly good looking ice marshal who had to keep coming to my rescue. (My flatmates were convinced it was all an act to get his attention, but I can 100% assure you, I'm just awful at ice skating!) 
  • Trashy TV. The list is endless. I've got into watching so much trashy television since I started uni. Magaluf Weekender? Love it. Party Wright Round The World? More please. RuPaul's Drag Race? Complete addiction. It's procrastination at its finest. Myself and my flatmate Emily found that there really wasn't a better way to waste an evening than consuming enough food to feed an army, or even making cakes, and binge watching some of the worst TV we could lay our hands on. If only there was a degree in wasting time and gaining an expansive knowledge on drag superstars....

So there we have it. Uni isn't completely about getting wasted on an all too regular occasion. I won't lie and tell you that I didn't have many (many, many, many) drunken incidences at Uni, but the times we had fun sober were so amazing as well, and in many senses, much more memorable!

Much love... ♥ 

No comments