Enchanted to meet you...

I love going to gigs. There's something special about hearing an artist perform live, bringing all the songs you know and love to life. I also have a lot of love for Emma Stevens. For those of you who don't know who she is (and tut-tut, you really should, she's fabulous), Emma is a very talented musician from Guildford. Her music is beautiful and catchy, and it's truly magical.

(Emma Steven's last album, "Enchanted")

Last Friday (30 May), I dragged my mum over to Bridport, a lovely town in Dorset which google maps informs me is 18.5 miles away from Weymouth. The gig was in the Electric Place, which although didn't look like much from the front, turned out to be a huge stage with rowed seating. I won't lie, it felt a bit creepy and eerie, very atmospheric to say the least. This was to be my second time seeing Emma this month, I'd already seen her in Southampton at The Brook on the 1st May; twice in one month isn't excessive is it?

The support came from the marvellous Nicola Brown. A singer-songwriter from Bournemouth, she performed a selection of her own songs, such as one she wrote when she was "like, 12" called "Painting Pictures". She also did a few very clever acoustic covers of "Hideaway" by Kiesza and "Diamonds" by Rihanna.



Emma Stevens then took the stage with her touring band; the brilliant Sam Whiting on guitar, Pete Snowdon on bass and James Rees-Flynn on drums and keys. Opening with the single "Once", Emma and co. went on to play a selection of songs from her last album "Enchanted", such as "What's She Got?", "Sunflower", "Give A Little Bit" and "This Is For You". The hour long set drew to a close with songs "A Place Called You" and "Riptide", both of which received great airtime on Radio 2. My mum actually nudged me at one point to tell me she had heard "Riptide" earlier that day in Debenhams, well if that's not a sign that you've made it... Lured back onto stage for an encore, Emma Stevens played a song called "Happy" which she had carefully blended into a cover of Jason Mraz's "I'm Yours". Set over, a very satisfied crowd burst into a rapturous applause, and headed out. 

After the gig, as promised, Emma Stevens was waiting in the bar to hug and thank everyone for coming along. I've met Emma before, and not only is she a talented musician, but she's an incredibly humble and lovely person. She truly appreciates all the support she gets from her fans, new and old, and is so inspiring to talk to. Having overcome the truly difficult time of losing her mum, Emma takes nothing for granted, which is breath-taking in the music industry at the moment, and probably why her fans love and support her so much. She is so relatable and real, and you don't get much of that these days. I got to chat to her for a while, asking her about how she is and what's next for her after her tour. I got a picture with her, said my goodbyes and made the long trip home.

(I love this picture so much, Myself and Emma Stevens)

Why did I make this post? Because you guys seriously need to check her out. Her music is brilliant, relatable and magical. Emma Stevens is currently not signed, and needs all the support she can get. I absolutely love her music, and really wanted to share her talent with all of you! I wish her every success!

("Riptide" by Emma Stevens)

Find out more about Emma Stevens, her music, and where she is playing on her website - http://emmastevensmusic.com/

Much love 

No comments