Amster...oh damn!

Guess who has internet!!
I don't know where to begin, it feels like forever since I last sat down and wrote a proper blog post, and I'll admit I'm a bit nervous because it feels like I've completely forgotten how to write. So bear with me please!

 
The last few months of my life have been pretty big. I've essentially fulfilled all the adult clichés; passed my driving test, got a car, I'm in a serious relationship, moved into a flat with my boyfriend, decorated said flat, been on my first holiday as a couple. It's quite a lot of material to cover. This post will be all about our break to Amsterdam for my 23rd birthday, and despite what I was led to believe by Blink-182, people do love you when you're 23. We booked the trip knowing roughly that we would be settled into the new flat, and that it would be the perfect opportunity to relax after how much we've managed to achieve so far this year. The rules were no set in concrete plans, and no alarm clocks. We were going to do whatever we wanted, whenever we wanted, and my god, it was needed.


We flew out from Southampton Airport, which is really convenient for us here in the south, and the train will literally take you straight there. Landing in Amsterdam was really straightforward too, and once you figure out which platform you need, it's super simple getting the train into central. We stayed in The Student Hotel, which has the strangest vibe. The rooms are a bit edgy and wannabe hipster, there's even a photo booth in the foyer. But the hallway between the rooms felt like a prison, all concrete and painted black. In the 5 days we were there, we couldn't quite figure the hotel out. Although we did have an amusing situation where we came back to rest one afternoon to find the cleaners in our room, so in typical British awkwardness, we went and hid in the stairwell until they were done.

Eventually we figured out the public transport, which was such good value for money. The metro is so direct and fast, and the trams were just a fun way to get around. Amsterdam definitely has it's public transport down to a T. One mode of transport I definitely did not enjoy was bikes. Amsterdam has more bikes than people, and they are in charge of the city. God forbid should you get in the way of an angry cyclist, you will get sworn at, overtaken, and generally be made to feel like shit. I hate cycling anyway, I had a horrible bike accident in a Centre Parcs which made me swear to never get on a bike again, but James persuaded me that it would be a one in a lifetime opportunity.
I hated it.
For a start, I could get the seat of my bike to stay up, so I kept slowly descending nearer and nearer to the wheels as the afternoon went by. I had major issues with starting and stopping the bike, I was a wobbly mess all over the place. And once you start cycling, there is no good time to stop without pissing people off. People in Amsterdam basically cycle around in one big circle until they die. There is no other way. Other cycling highlights include being overtaken by motorbikes in the bike lane, being overtaken by a mini-car in the bike lane, and losing James for what felt like 20 years because the whole of Tour de' France got between us.  Never again.


Other highlights of Amsterdam included the Banksy and Dali Museum, which is definitely something different to do. The Van Gogh Museum is a must. I was a little naïve, and didn't realise just how many paintings he actually created. The sheer volume of the collection will blow you away alone. The Amsterdam Museum is a nice way to spend a few hours, with enough history of Amsterdam to give you an understanding of the place without it being excessive and overwhelming. And obviously, you have to have a little walk through the red light district. It is unlike anything else you will experience, with sex so clearly advertised everywhere. Amsterdam is all for freedom and liberation, something you will have to take in your stride.


My favourite thing we did in Amsterdam, was visit the absolutely iconic Anne Frank House. It was haunting. Within all the chaos of Amsterdam, the Anne Frank House is so still, people don't push and shove, and there is nothing but a quiet air of respect throughout the experience. It is something I whole heartedly recommend doing (it is better to book ahead to going, or face the wrath of the 2 hour queue! We got lucky and found last minute tickets online to save ourselves the hassle of waiting in the cold.) The Anne Frank House serves as a reminder of just how cruel we can be as humans towards each other, reminding us that we cannot allow ourselves to fall back into such inhumanity.

So Amsterdam, done. Would I do it again? Probably not. It's one of those places for me, that I feel we did sufficiently the first time, and there is nothing I feel I need to go back and do. That being said, I did have a great time, and a great birthday there, and it is somewhere I would encourage others to venture to.

Also, I really recommend getting a disposable camera for some really *edgy* pictures of Amsterdam.


Much love 

No comments