The 'F' word - Don't tell me what to wear..

Ladies and gentlemen, it may or may not be a shock to you to learn that I, Hazel Coleman, am in fact a feminist.

 
I can already picture your reactions to this statement. Half of you are slowly edging away whether it be in fear or because you honestly couldn't care less, and half you of you (I hope) are thinking "right on sister!". I don't know why feminism gets such a mixed reaction, it's certainly the marmite of the social activism and political world, but it's something I hold very dear with my beliefs, morals, and general day to day life.
 
The topic of feminism is so broad,so I'd really like to come back to the idea of writing about feminism in other debates. Therefore I would like to say I'm not ignoring parts of the issue, or groups of people, or anything else you feel should've been mentioned. I'm also not looking to offend, and I apologise if I have done. I have included some links below which may be helpful as well for those of you who may be looking for more information on the subject, which might explain what I'm trying to get across a lot better than I have!


Links:
UK Feminista - Information on feminism in the UK
Everyday Feminism - Lots of articles on feminism in different topics
Belle Jar - A blog about feminism which I find really interesting
HeForShe - Movement for gender equality
 
 
The 'F' Word - Don't tell me what to wear!

I have a serious problem with people telling women how they should be dressed.

Now, don't get me wrong here. I'm a firm believer that there should definitely be a level of appropriateness involved. However, what I do have a big problem with is women being told that what they are wearing effects how others will behave.

Perhaps the biggest example that springs to mind here, is girls being told what they can and can't wear to school, and being told that their choice of clothing is distracting for boys and male teachers. I can't even begin to explain my frustration with this. In essence, girls are being told that because of how they dress they will be sent into isolation or sent home and therefore missing classes, and that subsequently, their education is not as important as boys. Again, in terms of practicality and appropriateness, short skirts and low cut tops can be exposing, but if a girl is comfortable with how she is dressed, who are we to tell her she can't wear it?

When you send a girl home to change because her shoulders are showing too much, or her dress is too short, you are teaching her that boys having a “distraction free environment” is more important than her education. You are diminishing both sexes by perpetuating the ideology that women are objects and men are wild zoo animals who can’t control their sexual urges. You are enforcing a rape culture, and making girls to feel dehumanized and ashamed of their bodies. Instead of punishing girls for exposing our shoulders and legs, teach boys to have respect for women.

Although dress codes rarely apply to boys, the reasons behind them often are. Boys are not all sex-crazed maniacs who can't keep in it their pants at the sight of a bra-strap, we can at least give them credit for that. And I'm pretty certain they've sussed that girls have legs, shoulders and breasts as well. So why are we forcing girls to cover up? We are teaching both genders that female sexuality is a male weakness, and that women are solely to blame for this. Therefore, what schools are really doing is brainwashing kids into a way of thinking which is horrifically harmonious with rape culture.

Dress codes are quickly becoming an excuse for the sexualisation of women and disgracing young women, and quite frankly I'm sick of it. From first hand experience, it's humiliating to be pulled up for dress code errors, being called out in front of the class for having my skirt too short or my tights too see-through. Girls should not be made to feel ashamed to their bodies. We should be educating them to feel comfortable and confident in their skins, and that they shouldn't have to hide themselves away.

(Picture credit @ehannan3 on twitter)


Rant over.

Let me know what you think about this matter in the comments box, or message me.
 
Much love
 
 

1 comment