I'm dreaming of a wine Christmas....

I hope you all had a very magical Christmas! 
 
 
I've had such a lovely Christmas, it's been so good to surround myself with my family and close friends, especially as I don't often see them now I'm living full time in Winchester. But home will always be where the heart is, and Christmas is no exception. Christmas in my house has always been a bit different to everyone else, but this year it's certainly felt a lot more 'mature' than usual. I'm 20, and my brother Adam is 18, and with all of our family spread out across the country, the festivities were spent with just us and mum, and two energetic dogs. It's been a lot quieter than Christmases of days-gone-by, but it's been cosier and so much more relaxed.

(The Santa suit I bought Nelson in Primark was the best £4 I've ever spent!) 

We must be the only family who waits until the afternoon to unleash present mayhem. I know what you're thinking, how can you resist? Well that's the way it's always been. We've always tried to drag out the magic over the duration on the day, probably in the past as a way to keep us kids interested all day and not running off to play with our new presents. It's become a bit of a tradition, and every year always follows a similar pattern, although in the last few years there's been a lot more drinking involved on my part!
 
 
A typical Christmas in our house involves waking up, and not at the crack of dawn (we like our sleep so maybe about 9ish), getting your stocking which is usually crammed with chocolate, then some kind of wonderful breakfast. A short break and maybe the odd present before we crack on with cooking the dinner, and maybe try and squeeze in a dog walk while the turkey is roasting to perfection. Then it's dinner, followed by all the presents, and finally pudding and a lot of wine, rounded off with the Downton Christmas special (which was incredible this year, I totally cried. Twice.)
 
 
So although everything was on a slightly smaller scale just for the three of us, we certainly didn't skimp on the food. The key to my heart is, and will always be, a hearty roast followed by an insanely chocolatey dessert. And boy did my mother do it justice this year. Turkey stuffed with pork stuffing, which is then smothered in smokey bacon? My stomach was so happy it was practically bursting into song.
 
As for the presents, the family did not disappoint. My brother got me the most perfect and wonderful bag from monsoon. His secret? I picked it, he paid. It's a winning combination that's worked for years, why fix what isn't broken? He hates shopping, I love knowing what I'm getting, everyone's a winner. As for my mother, she pulled out all the stops and got me the most gorgeous boots I daresay I've ever owned. Perfume, a printer, and a plethora of other assorted goodies rounded off a very spoilt Christmas for me! My dad was very sensible, chocolate and vouchers, letting me choose whatever I fancy in the sales. He did make my Christmas dreams come true by ticking off one of the most important things on my Christmas list. I'm now officially the proud owner of a unicorn! (I'm perfectly happy to believe it's real, who cares if I'm 20)


I've been a very lucky lady this year, with all my friends and family spoiling me with gifts I absolutely love. I just hope my presents to them were enjoyed just as much as I loved receiving theirs!
 
I can't believe we have to wait a whole year before we do it all again, it seems like forever to wait, then you blink and it's over. Time has been flying by all year, and I'm not ready to close the curtains on 2014 just yet. It just feels as if there is so much more that can be accomplished..

Drunken festive dog selfies are the way forward 
 
Much love
 

No comments