'Homesick' for uni...

After spending 9 months living away from home in halls, coming back 'home' has felt seriously strange. It looks like my house, but it's not my house anymore. I'm as good as gone in the eyes of my mother, so imagine her surprise to have to put up with me again for 3 months before I inevitably have to go back to Winchester. It's been a complete shock to the system, having to fit back into my family home after having so long of my own freedom, and there's an awful lot I miss about being in Winchester. There's certainly a lot I love about being home though, but that's a whole other post.

So what is it about uni I'm missing so much?
  1. My friends - Okay, sorry for sounding really lame here, but I miss all my friends so much. Being back home has made it pretty obvious who really matters, because only a few friends here have bothered to get back in touch and arranged to meet up again. Everyone else has moved on,so it just shows who truly are good friends. It gets pretty sad when you start counting the people you work with as being among your closest friends... 
  2. Drinking - The downside of having no friends in Weymouth? No one to go drinking with. I'm certainly not going to go and sit in a pub by myself, nor am I sad enough yet to sit and drink in my room. Without running the risk of sounding like a massive alcoholic (but if you've read some of my previous posts, you probably have already concluded that I am), I do enjoy going out and having a drink and a laugh. Here, my Saturday nights consist of napping after work, and watching Game Of Thrones. Definitely missing my social life. 
  3. Random walks - This is a strange one, but I miss being able to go out for a random walk alone or with friends in the middle of the night. For one, I have no one to go with here, and I also don't think my mother would be too thrilled about me just going out at 1am for a stroll. Weymouth isn't exactly rough, but I'm sure she'd be convinced I'd get kidnapped and forced into an arranged marriage or something completely ridiculous. I just miss the freedom to do whatever I want, whenever I want, without having to explain or justify it to my mother. 
  4. Never being alone - At home, often I find I'm the only person in my house. With having barely any friends to meet up with, or being too tired after work to go out with, I find I'm stuck in my house, on my own, with nothing but Netflix, my dog and my own thoughts for company.At uni, there's always someone around to go and hang out with, even if you're both just scrolling through your phones, or cooking. You're never alone, there's always someone to have a laugh or a chat with whatever time of day. 
  5. Lie-ins and laziness - With having to go to work, and only getting a few days off, I feel as if my rare days to myself shouldn't be wasted. So I'm finding that I'm getting up at a decent time and actually doing things. Gone are the days I used to predominantly spend in bed watching FRIENDS, and I miss them. I can't get away with lying-in and doing nothing anymore.  
  6. Always having something to do - There's always people around, or work to be done, or parties and nights out to be had. There is literally always something to do, so you are never bored. I've never been so bored in my whole life this summer, I have to schedule these things around my jobs, and then I'm too tired, and whenever I'm free, there's never anything to do. At uni, go out on a Wednesday night and it's amazing. Here, go out on a Wednesday and it's atrocious. But unfortunately for me, my days off never seem to coincide with the weekend, so I never get the chance to go out. I miss being able to do whatever, whenever, because at uni you're surrounded by so many other people who are doing whatever they like whenever as well. 
  7. Lectures - I genuinely miss lectures and my course. I really enjoy my subject, and it feels weird not sitting through 3 hours of someone attempting to teach me something. I feel like without learning at the moment, my brain is dying from all the TV I'm watching to fill my spare time. Definitely need to read more. 
  8. How close everything is - Last year, my flat was about 3 minutes away from all of my lecture rooms, which was awesome. I had, quite possibly, the worlds shortest commute, which was great because for lazy little me, it meant more time in bed. If you wanted to go into town, no problem, it was probably only a 10 minute walk, which was always really nice especially if you went with friends so you could chat along the way. At home, I don't live that far away from town, but it's certainly a much longer walk, and I have to leave my house a good 45 minutes before I'm needed in work. Not fun. It means less sleep. I hate having to fork out for bus fare to get everywhere quicker and easier. Living on a campus where everything is within reach suits my laziness just fine. 
I miss so much about being at uni, but it won't be long until I'm back in September and missing home all over again. It's definitely really strange getting used to having 'homes' in two different places, and having to split your time and affections between them both. But I guess, now that I've been at uni for a year, I wouldn't change it for the world.

Much love 


No comments