Does this make me old?


Recently I've found that I've been making excuses for myself by blaming my age. I'm not that old, I mean I am 19, and as I like to say, old enough to know better, but young enough to get away with it; but I do feel like I'm at an awkward stage in my life where I'm too old to understand the obsession of loom-bands, but too young to get my free bus pass. I must warn you that this post will seem like I'm ranting a lot, and will probably make me seem incredibly old. So this in mind, I want to post about how I'm starting to notice my teenage years drifting away from me, and why I can't get my head around teenagers today.


I can't runaway from the fact that my time as a teenager is quickly running out on me, I'm rapidly approaching my 20th birthday, and I'm not sure if I'm entirely thrilled about it. I enjoy using my youth as an excuse for doing stupid things, when I do know better. 20, to me, signals the official start of becoming an adult, which means a whole load of commitments and dull things like filing taxes and mortgages. I'm quite happy currently floating through life with no real responsibilities, apart from making sure I can cover my rent at Uni, and that I have enough money for food. Sounds pretty selfish, but I enjoy only having myself to worry about, and now that I'm older I enjoy the freedom I have now that my parents just let me get on with it, so in that respect I'm totally not begging for my younger teenage days back. Being 15 once was enough for me. I'd quite happily stick at 19 thank you very much, it's definitely an age which suits me just fine. 


Boybands. What is this obsession? I was talking to one of the 16-year-old girls I was working with about why on earth there are so many boybands around at the moment. I just can't get my head around the fact that when a boyband is playing on the radio, it's not always One Direction. Do we really need more boybands in our lives? Where did this demand for them come from? I will never understand who "The Vamps", "Rixton" or " 5 Seconds Of Summer" are, and what the difference between them are. I can barely just about get my head around the whole One Direction craze. A similar discussion I was having with the girls at work, was about downloading music. I was shocked when they didn't know what Limewire was, and then I nearly fell over when I discovered they weren't part of the generation that spent every night on MSN, and that they never even had MSN! When I was 14, every single person I knew was on my MSN list, whether you spoke to them or not. It was the only way to communicate. Nowadays, it's all this kik business, or whatever people use. Call me old fashioned, but I much prefer texting and facebook messaging. 

(Okay, so I know this gif isn't completely relevant, but I didn't really want pictures of One Direction on my blog, and I think we can all agree that the idea of Nick Fury starting an Avengers boyband is way funnier.)

Another problem I've found, is that I find myself wanting to mother teenage girls who can't wear make-up properly, or wear those shorts that make their arse-cheeks hang out the bottom. What's with this? Why is it that you can walk around these days and see teenage girls around the age of 14 wearing a full face of make-up, hair extensions, and crop tops with leggings. Half of them could pass for my age, which makes me feel like I should be putting a whole lot more effort in with my appearance than I do. And how on earth do their parents let them walk around like that? I know for a fact if I'd gone out like that I would've been told to go upstairs and change before I could leave the house. I have to stop myself from going over to these young girls, and telling them to stop rushing to grow up, and that they look bloody ridiculous. It's such a shame that society stops teenage girls from enjoying their youth so much, and puts all this pressure on them to be perfect. When I started secondary school, I never styled my hair, wore make-up, and lived in tshirts and tracky bottoms. Today, I see Year 7's going to school with perfect eyeliner (please teach me how to do that), short skirts, and immaculate hair. The time difference between all this happening is probably no more than 5 years, which goes to show how quickly our society is moving.

From now on, I'm trying to stop myself from saying to the girls I work with "when I was your age", or "back in my time", because I'm not that old yet. It's just funny what difference a few years makes. I'm not saying teenagers today are stupid or anything like that, just that the way they grew up is completely different to me, and I can't seem to work out how so much change has happened in such little time.



Rant over.

 Much love 


No comments