Who run the world....girls!

 
Happy International Women's Day!
 
 
 
 
Today is International Women's Day, and I thought, how better to celebrate the incredible force of sisterhood than to dedicate a post to the women who inspire and influence me the most in the world? Sorry boys, but today is all about the ladies of the world, and together we are unstoppable. We've come a long way from being unable to vote, being seen and not heard, and being undervalued and underappreciated, however, we still have a long way to go to achieve equality for not just ourselves, but for all people along the gender spectrum. This is why it is so important to me that we are able to put any differences aside on amazing days such as this, and join together to make the world a fairer and better place for all. I'm trying not to fully explode into a feminist rant (although it's just so easy!), so instead, here are a selection of wonderful women who have changed my life.
 
 
My Mum - Let's start with an obvious one. My mum is my absolute favourite person in the entire world. Sure we've had our differences in the past, and what mother and daughter doesn't argue? My mum has gone through a lot in her lifetime, but she doesn't let it define her which is why I idolise her so much. Her strength is what has kept her, my brother and I going for years, and she always comes back stronger after every set-back. Plus she's looking pretty incredible after her amazing weightloss, and I'd kill to look as good as her when I'm her age. Without my mum in my life, I wouldn't be as down-to-earth and grounded, she's been an inspirational influence in my life, and I only hope I can do as well with my kids one day.
 
 
 
My Nan - Again, another obvious choice. It's easy to see how well my mum turned out when you look at my Nanny, she's such an inspiration. Although she also went through some really bad times, with deaths in the family, she has managed to turn her life around in the last few years, come out much more positive and stronger than ever before, and lost so much weight she is officially no longer a diabetic! I can always rely on my Nanny to be there for me, she's a completely loving and understanding person.
 
 
Florence Welch - Florence is one of the biggest influences in my life. If you ask anyone I know, they'll tell you how obsessed I am, and how much she means to me. I first heard her music in 2009 when I was 14, and her music still gets to me even now. On the release of her second album Ceremonials in 2011, I was in a pretty bad place, but I could rely on her music to help me through. In many ways she saved me, I won't go into lots of detail here because it's pretty personal, but there's a pretty good chance I wouldn't be who I am now, or here, without Florence and the Machine. It's funny how much music can help you or shape you in your life, and I'm just glad that for me, it was the ethereal sounds of FATM. Meeting her has been a highlight of my life, they say never meet your idols because you'll get disappointed, but she was so genuinely lovely and happy to see everyone, she's such a truly lovely and kind person, inside and out.
 
 
 
Rosa Parks - I'll always remember the first time I learnt about her, in a history lesson when I was 12. I thought she was so brave and incredible, while the boys in the class were laughing about how silly it was, and that she should've just moved on the bus. This was one of the first times I ever felt proud of someone I'd never met, but even though I was 12, I was inspired and realised how much her actions impacted for so many. Without her courage, bravery, and complete sense of justice and self, the world we know now could be very different. We need more people in the world who are willing to make the sacrifice for others, such as Rosa Parks did. She put her freedom on the line so that others may achieve theirs.
 
 
Emma Watson - I'm still convinced her and Hermione are the same person. It's very had to distinguish where Emma stops and Hermione begins, but I suspect the very well written character by J.K Rowling plays a large hand in this. Growing up with a character such as Hermione Granger in my life played a large part as to who I am now, as her independence, determination to do well against all odds, and compassion for her friends throughout her life helped to shape me. Emma Watson is equally as wonderful, as she too displays all these characteristics. As well as all of this, her speech at the UN on feminism and He For She was inspirational. It really got to me. Her ability to always remain true to herself and her beliefs is something we should all strive for in everyday life.
 
 
Emmeline Pankhurst - Without her, and the rest of the Suffragette movement, my life would be very different. I wouldn't be able to have a say or be able to achieve anything I want to do without her brave actions. Her determination to fight for the right for women to vote has changed the world and society. Her methods may be controversial, due to her militancy, but you have to admire her passion and effectiveness, as well as her ability to make such a radical change. She inspires me in that there are no limits as to what I can achieve, and that if there is something I don't agree with, I can change it. Nothing is impossible.
 
 
 
There are so many women who have helped to shape who I am today, I couldn't possibly write extensively about them all. To name but a few more, Beyoncé, Anne Frank, Haim, Taylor Swift, Maya Angelou, and Amy Poehler. And of course, all the women who've been there for me, including family, friends, teachers, and my boss back home in Weymouth, Sybil. Without all of them, I wouldn't be half the person I am today. 
 
 
Although today is all about women, everyone has a responsibility when it comes to equality. It's not impossible. We just need to all be more respectful and nicer to each other. So c'mon everyone, share the love! There is still so much more we need to do.
 
Much love 
 
 


No comments