Totally Fetch Films...

I love a good movie. To me, there is nothing better than spending a day curled up in a duvet, watching films with endless supplies of tea and chocolate. Unfortunately, I rarely get days to do this, but when I do I make full advantage of it. I'm not usually a one-genre-film kinda girl, I'll sit through almost anything - within reason. I'm not a huge fan of gore or violence, and the film has to have a plot that I can follow that isn't too ridiculous or complicated.

So what are my favourite films? Prepare yourself for a lot of girl-power, soppy romance, and films that will have you wetting yourself with laughter (or shitting in the street....)

Bridesmaids - She's really doing it. She's shitting in the street. Bridesmaids is the best comedy with an all girl cast - fact. It will make you cry with laughter, with a plot that is in some cases so ridiculous, that it really could be true. The cast are purely brilliant, Kristen Wiig is just so naturally funny, as is Maya Rudolph and Melissa McCarthy. Plus it has Chris O'Dowd in it, whom I adore. Every single part of the film is quotable, and I'm all for quotable films, especially when other people can quote it with you. This film will completely stand the test of time, I have no doubt that I'll still be crying with laughter at it in 40 years time.


Mean Girls - This. Is. A. Classic. Every single girl who grew up in my generation will have watched Mean Girls. I mean, that's just like the rules of feminism. I had high expectations that secondary school would be like Mean Girls, and in some ways it really was. Mean Girls was great at exploring all the strange little cliques of people, and how bitchy everyone really was. I guess you could say it prepared me for school, and that you shouldn't back stab or trust anyone. Or push them in front of a bus. Again, this film is ridiculously quotable, and I could recite the whole film to you if you asked me to. And the Kevin G rap. 


Chicago - Could this be the best musical of all time? It has all my favourite things. The Jazz Age in America? Check. Kick-ass female leads? Check. Songs with dance routines you wish you could do? Check check check check check. Half the time I torn between wanting to play the role of Roxie Hart, and the other half I'd kill to be Velma Kelly. Both have amazing songs, both have amazing costumes, and both are equally as bad as the other. One killed her lover, the other killed her sister and her husband. Chicago proves that murder really is an art, and that sometimes crime does pay if you want the spotlight. 


Bridget Jones: Edge Of Reason - My flatmates are convinced that I'm really Bridget Jones, with a hopeless love life and with ridiculous things always happening to me. At first I was slightly offended, then I realised that the comparison was actually quite uncanny, and that it made a whole load of sense. So why do I love the sequel over the original? It's simple really. The whole scene in the prison in Thailand. Every time I watch this film, I am in stitches over a bunch of women trying to sing 'Like A Virgin', whilst wearing bras outside of their clothes. I've included it below for your viewing pleasure. 


Friends With Benefits - Justin Timberlake. God dammit he is one fine specimen of man, isn't he? Plus we get to see a whole lot of him in this film, if you know what I mean. He's not the only reason I love Friends With Benefits though. It shows how love isn't always where you expect it, that it's not all tacky and clichéd, and that sometimes, just sometimes, you can fall in love with your best friend. It's a thoroughly modern love story, and gives me hope that maybe one day I'll actually find a decent guy in this world.  


The Avengers - Okay so this is cheating a little bit, because I love all the Marvel films, and this was just a way to express my admiration for most of the characters in one film. I love Thor. I love Captain America. I love Iron Man. Hell, I love them all. I completely 'nerd out' when I watch Marvel films, I like to research all the characters and how they interlink, and yes, I'm one of those people who ALWAYS stay for the mid-credit and end-credit scenes. Because they are important. I wish I was Black Widow (and not just because Scarlett Johansson is my girl crush), and all of the guys are damn good looking. The Avengers is everything you could possible want in a kick-ass action movie. 


Elf - Christmas means awkward family reunions, too much food, and Elf. Undoubtedly the best Christmas film, because 'The best way to spread Christmas cheer, is singing loud for all to hear." Will Ferrell is probably the only actor who could be capable of playing such a role, and he does it perfectly. It's funny, heart-warming, and plain bonkers in some parts (it has a talking narwhal, need I say more?). To me, I don't feel in the Christmas spirit until I've watched Elf, it's as essential to the holiday as having a Christmas tree. 


Legally Blonde - Now, I'm all for a bit of girl-power, after all I did grow up under the influence of the Spice Girls. I'm also a feminist, and a sucker for people who break the boundaries they are confined to by society and surprise everyone. Legally Blonde is a totally awesome film following Elle Woods (Reese Witherspoon), who gets into Harvard to win back her boyfriend, only to discover a new passion for the study and practise of law. She's the complete polar opposite of everything you'd imagine a law student to be, and I adore that. It shows anyone that they can be anything they want to be, and that there are no limits. Elle Woods is a complete hero, and I love her to bits, plus I always get a strange burst of motivation to do something with my life whenever I watch this film. 



Much love 


No comments