Things I have learnt about being a university student...

Starting university is a big step for anyone, especially if you're merely 18 and have never lived without the comfort of your family before. Suddenly you're all alone in the world, and it can be a very daunting and down-right scary prospect. However, it can also be the making of many, giving many people the freedom to live their lives on their own terms and do whatever they want, whenever they want. I have to admit, being a university student is one of the best things to ever happen to me. I honestly have no idea what I would've done with my life if I hadn't gone to university, and even though I still don't really have any particular goal in mind, I now know that honestly I could do anything I wanted to. To me, university has given me the confidence to pursue anything I want in life, and has opened many unexpected doors and unlocked interests I didn't even know I had.
 
So for all of you who are about to take that leap of faith into university life, here are a few things I've found out in my last two student years, which I'm sure every student will know all too well.
 
There is no such thing as an early night.
You will have every intention of getting an early night, but for many people, this just doesn't happen. When I lived in halls, we used to find ourselves all gathering in the kitchen until the early hours, genuinely for no reason whatsoever other than we could. And more often than not, work will be left until the last minute, which causes the inevitable all-nighter to get it all done. I am so jealous of people at uni who know what a good nights sleep actually feels like, please teach me your secrets! 
 
 
There will eventually be a stand-off with your housemates over the cleaning.
Be prepared to get your hands dirty, because no one will be cleaning up after you. You may be blessed with the cleanest housemates in the world, or unfortunately, you could be stuck with the person whose stuff is always left in the sink. You will have three choices. 1) Buckle and clean up after them 2) Nag them until they eventually cave and sort it out, or 3) Leave it completely and accept this is how you live now.
 
 
You'll be ripped off by how much rent you have to pay but will have to pay it anyway.
Landlords are very smart people. They know you have nowhere else to live, so you will pay whatever it costs to live there meaning they charge as much as they like. It's an unfortunate situation which can stress out even the most financially secure student, but you'll just have to suck it up and pay or face either being homeless, or living so far away from uni you'll be practically in another town.
 
 
You can always guarantee that the book you need in the library has been already taken out.
Although the library is huge, you can almost guarantee that the book you need won't be there, because everyone else in your class will be after it as well. This is when the sneaky tactics come into play, I always pick my essay questions at the start of the semester so I can quickly get the books I want before it's too late. You have to play dirty to win!
 

There is always that one module you have to take that you find boring.
Usually a core module, or one that you've unfortunately been stuck with. Last year I had one module that I rarely went to because I had absolutely no motivation to sit through it, which sounds awful. I do feel bad about not going, and in truth I've only ever had two modules I didn't like, which I think is pretty good going. The best thing you can do is just push through and do your best in the assignments.
 
 
There is always that one lecture that you literally cannot stay awake in.
I had one module last year where the lecturer didn't use powerpoint presentations, so he literally talked at you for three hours, in one big monologue. After a while, I could feel his voice lulling me to sleep, and I had to fight the massive internal battle to close my eyes and sleep on the desk. I have one answer for anyone in this situation, as soon as you reach the break, grab a coffee. Caffeine will be your lifeline.
 
 
No night out will ever be as cheap as a student union night out.
It's a sad thought that as soon as I leave uni, I will never find a double and mixer for as cheap as £3 ever again. I don't want to think that I'll spend more than £20 on a night out, it's just depressing.

 
By the time you graduate, you'll still have no idea where half the buildings are.
I dread new semesters because it means room changes, and I have no idea where half the rooms are. I don't even have that big of a uni campus, and I'm pretty lucky that all the buildings are relatively near to each other so I don't have to trek around the city to get to my lectures. But honestly, I haven't even been in a few of the buildings, and the odds are I never will.
 
 
If there was a degree in procrastination, you'd get a first.
There are times when you'll really need to concentrate and crack on with your work, but literally everything provides the perfect distraction. I remember in my first year I colour coded my wardrobe to avoid writing an essay, which just proves I'm essentially a mad woman. I would genuinely get a first if my degree was in procrastination.
 
 
The heartbreak and dread that comes with realising how one day it's all going to be over.
This one is too real for me. It feels like I'm just starting to get really comfortable with my student status, and within the next year it'll all be over. I'm not prepared for the real world just yet, I wish I could stay in university forever.
 
 
Don't take your time at university for granted, because I promise you it will fly by, and you'll soon be wondering where the time has gone. Take as many opportunities as you can, and make the most of every second you have there, because it truly is one of the best experiences you will have.
 
Much love

No comments